Though the Hill town is surrounded by many worthwhile places, however I always look at Manali in 3 sections – Old Manali, Vashishtha & Main Manali.
Nitin Shivani Different sandwiches and coffees at Dylan’s Cafe in Old Manali.
I had one with avocado, loved it. Their cookies are nice too.Taran Sikka Where’s it exactly?Pia Jhamb Old Manali has the best restaurants to chill. Please avoid NewManali, its super crowded. Must go to The Lazy Dog, Dylans and Drifters. check this to know more: http://www.eatstory.in/best-restaurants-in-old-manali/Aman Srivastava Try anything you want to at chopsticks.. I don’t even remember the names of the dishes.. Try their springrolls for sure.. Gyathuk was tasty too.. Try Tingmo if you haven’t (it’s a bread).. Ask the waiter for suggestions.. He’ll guide you well.. But all in all, don’t skip Chopsticks.. It’s the top rated in Manali in all aspects..
Pragya Saxena Chopsticks… Johnsons cafe… Drifter’s cafe
Anisha Kapoor The food at Drifter’s Inn is exceptional. Also chill at Lazy Dog… Once ur done with these places..try the Bhagsu Cake from any of the German Bakeries, its a 30/- version of our 300/- Banoffie Pie. Once ur done with these…try anything else. Johnson is over hyped and over priced…it just enjoys being the only ‘fine dine’ in the city.
- Visit any of the German or English bakeries that you can spot. They make their own bread and can fix you a mean sandwich at a reasonable price. Also opt for Yak cheese if they have to offer. Avoid the meats as they most probably would be canned, stick with vegetables and eggs. Their other baked goodies might not be as refined as what we see in fancy bakeries these days, but then once you get hand of them, you cannot get enough of them.
- Drifter’s Inn – one of the personal favorites – have tried Pizzas, Eggs Florentine, various Pastas, breakfast combos, burgers, shakes, rajma chawal etc – they might not be THE best, however mostly manage to hit the spot right.
- Johnson’s Cafe – This place is an experience in itself. One of the finest done places in India, they have multiple seating areas and options. This restaurant with well stocked bar is one of the most popular places in Manali and having tried their Food, specially baked Trouts a few times – I am not surprised at all. A bit expensive by all standards, however well worth the price.
- Casa Bella Vista – One word – Pizza. Some of the finest you will taste in India. Do visit the restaurant of this resort run by a European lady to experience genuine food fired oven pizzas done with fresh cheese and pure veg ingredients. I love their outdoor seating or low seating in their main restaurant. Also try their drinks – specially the mint and lemon ones. Very refreshing they are.
- Fresh Fruits – Just buy them from anywhere – cherries, strawberries, apples, peaches – they all grow in Himalayas and you get to savor them at their freshest best in Manali. Do consider picking few for home – they do sell by the cases – but make sure you haggle hard when buying in decent quantity.
- 1947 Cafe, Lazy Dog, Bob Dylans – they have their own charm and have food choices to offer. Do visit to experience these places – though have nothing to recommend in particular, however you can expect decent version of almost everything.
And not to forget Maggi at numerous ‘maggi-points’ that you will come across around and beyond manali. There is not much to differentiate one from another, however find your perfect spot and just go for it. The chances are that it would be the best Maggi you will ever have in your life.
Again – this is not a comprehensive list and we consider this as a work in progress, if you have some other eating options to recommend, please do add them in the comments below, would be helpful for fellow food lovers.