The rustic Dhaba style Dal & Roti is everyone’s favourite and an extremely satisfying meal. Though it is impossible to replicate the earthiness of dhaba food which is an amalgamation of various factors, I still tried to cook it at home this sunday to end my perpetual craving for that simple dal & tandoori roti. The most exciting thing about this experiment is I used the Panasonic Rice Cooker that is only used for making plain rice or biryani in my home. The standard electric rice cooker not many people know is a slow cooker and can be used to make multiple things including a cake! The slow heat affect leads a beautiful mushy texture to the dal and add to the flavour. After this successful experiment I have some crazy recipes on my mind to try! It is also a great option for flame free cooking or for people who don’t have the full kitchen setup or for those vacations/picnics/ cook outs! In fact I really like this combo rice cooker which comes with few attachments and can give serious competition to the induction plate cooking market segment.
I also used my Sunflame Oven Toaster Grill for making those Tandoori Rotis.
Recipe for the Dhaba Dal Fry
Urad Dal (Split White Lentils) : 1 Cup
Chana Dal ( Split Bengal Gram): 2 Cups
Onion : 1 Big
Garlic: 10-12 cloves
Ginger: 2 Inches long piece
Green Chillies: 3-4
Coriander: For Garnishing
Cinnamon: 2 Inches long stick
Tomato Ketchup: 1 Tbsp
Salt to taste
Red Chilli Powder: 1 Tbsp
Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp
Coriander Powder: 1 Tbsp
Garam Masala: 1 Tbsp
Desi Ghee ( Clarified Butter): 4 Tbsp
- Pre soak the lentils for 2-3 hours. Plug in the rice cooker and let it heat for a minute, add desi ghee & cinnamon & cloves.
- Add roughly chopped onions, ginger & garlic.
- Let the onion turn translucent, make sure you use a wooden spatula or ladle to stir it.
- Add all the dry spices, roughly chopped tomatoes, green chiles and tomato ketchup.
- Let is cook for 2 mins and add little water.
- Now add the pre soaked lentils & 6 cups water.
- Close the lid and let it simmer for 45-50 mins.
- Switch off the rice cooker & garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Top it with a spoon of desi ghee before serving for the magical aroma.
Method for Tandoori Roti
- Take some fresh dough made using wheat flour, bran, water & desi ghee.
- Take a small ball of dough and make a flat roti or chapati, brush some ghee on one side and roll again to make layers.
- Pre heat the oven for 5 mins at 250-300 degrees Celsius.
- Brush some milk on one side of the roti and place it on a tray in the oven.
- Flip it after a minute and let it cook till a nice golden brown colour is achieved.
- Add some fresh butter or ghee on top before serving.
Though lot of people might frown on the use of tomato ketchup but it lends a nice sheen & tangy flavour to the dal, you can skip it if you want and add a teaspoon of vinegar instead.
The dal tastes better after few hours so if possible do make it well in advance and serve with freshly made rotis.
You checkout more about cooker and Oven on Amazon here :